Job Title: Residency Director
Reporting Relationship: Executive Director
Location of Job: Santa Fe Art Institute
Work Schedule: Full Time with benefits.
Typical hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, with extra events as necessary
SUMMARY OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SFAI hosts 50-70 artists and creative practitioners of all disciplines annually through the International Thematic Residency Program and Story Maps Fellowship. The Residency Director is responsible for attracting and managing artists of all disciplines in residence each year, administering the program, and facilitating a welcoming, comfortable, and productive residency and monthly cohort. This position serves as core staff for all programming.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SFAI is a highly collaborative workplace, and many of the following duties will be performed by working closely with the Executive Director (ED) and SFAI staff. The Residency Director will:
- Work with ED and staff to research and develop annual theme.
- Help to develop outreach and communications to promote the program. Promote residency program to an expanding regional, national and international network.
- Respond clearly and consistently to inquiries about residency programs and process incoming applications.
- Facilitate jury, resident selection, and notification of responses to all applicants.
- Help to ensure the comfort and safety of residents, including cleanliness and order of rooms and studio space before arrival, adequate supplies and staples. Properly orient residents to the space and residency, develop monthly community agreements, and facilitate the resident showcase.
- Schedule and facilitate arrival and stay of residents at SFAI. Work with staff to manage safe COVID safety protocols during resident stays. Implement exit interviews upon departure.
- Help to promote and amplify residents and their work through events, conversations, and connection with the larger community.
- Manage and update alumni network.
- Prepare residency reports for granting organizations, and to highlight resident work and critical importance of the residency program.
- Participate in fundraising activities and events.
- Facilitate existing residency partnerships and cultivate new partnerships as appropriate.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
This is a position for a responsible, creative, organized, and highly motivated individual inspired to contribute to a broader vision of an organization committed to critical inquiry and cultural exchange. The ideal candidate has the following experience and/or skills:
- Connecting the arts and culture with social justice – focusing on the rights of BIPOC, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, immigrants, and women;
- 3-5 years administrative experience, preferably in an arts non-profit setting;
- Masters Degree or professional experience equivalent (demonstrating rigorous, independent work based upon critical inquiry and/or creative and cultural exchange);
- Strong connections with national network of artists and creative practitioners;
- Understanding of/ experience with regional communities and cultures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Clear and compassionate interpersonal skills;
- Comfort in working collaboratively; and
- An ability to creatively troubleshoot and problem solve.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES & WORK ENVIRONMENT
Staff are expected to work 40 hours a week, and to be available from 9 AM – 5 PM, but we offer some flexibility in the work week in order to accommodate staff needs and the needs of our residents. SFAI staff are currently working a hybrid of off-site and on-site, with each staff member committing to be on site at least three times during the week. Because of the hospitality nature of the residency program, each person on staff is responsible for being “on-call” every 4-6 weeks, with backup from other staff. These schedules and responsibilities may change as needed.
SFAI adheres to a 1:3 wage ratio and provides competitive salaries and benefits including health and disability insurance, holidays and paid time off, flexible hours, and 403b retirement plan matching contribution. The salary range for this position is $60,000-$70,000.
SFAI values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
SFAI is committed to accessibility as an integral aspect of both diversity and inclusivity in all that we do. SFAI has a zero-tolerance policy on discrimination and is deeply committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, ethnicity, religion, spiritual beliefs, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
Learn more about SFAI’s mission, values, and commitment to anti-racism here.
SFAI is an independent arts organization forging critical inquiry and cultural exchange among artists, creative practitioners, and the broader community. We support and amplify dynamic artistic practices that engage complex social issues, inspire individual transformation, and inform collective action.
Please submit a letter of interest and your CV via email with subject line “SFAI Residency Director,” to email@example.com. The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.