INVITATION TO APPLY
Internet for Artists Weekend
Open to Individual Artists Living and Working in New Mexico
The Santa Fe Art Institute is pleased, with support from the Kresge Foundation, to partner
with Creative Capital to present two Professional Development workshops, Internet for Artists and Verbal Communications, for artists, writers, and performers in all disciplines living and working in New Mexico. The Internet for Artists weekend retreat will take place
at the Santa Fe Art Institute from Friday, January 20 to Sunday, January 22, 2012, and the Verbal Communications workshop will be held on Monday, January 23, 2012. The two workshops may be taken individually or in combination. Eligible New Mexico artists are invited to apply to attend.
Internet for Artists:
This weekend workshop will help participants expand their online presence and learn to harness the power of Internet tools such as social networking and media sharing sites, e-commerce, promotional websites, and blogs. Beginning with an overview of Internet terminology and applications, the workshop will explore how these resources can be used to build audience, expand community, amplify marketing, and extend administrative resources. Participants will develop a step-by-step, holistic strategy to apply online resources to promote specific career goals. Additionally, the workshop will help artists expand their thinking to quickly recognize and implement the possibilities of new technologies as they develop. The workshop employs a combination of lecture, small group breakout sessions, and one-on-one consultations to help participants gain the maximum of personalized attention while encouraging community-building as part of the workshop process.
Participants will learn:
• Strategies for identifying and planning for long-term goals
• The best practices for artist websites, blogs, social media and communications
• Strategies to increase efficiency and effectiveness of computer and internet-based tools
• The basic steps for setting up a personal website with WordPress (an open-source blog platform used by many artists to create their personal website)
• Information on special topics, such as generating revenue online, increasing traffic to one’s personal website and building audience online
Participants will leave the workshop with:
• A personalized plan of action based in the individual’s own goals for his or her art career
• Strategies and tactics that will help generate interest and awareness in his or her art practice
• Information about artist websites, social media, email outreach, blogs and other internet-based tools
• A cohort of peer artists in their community who can act as a resource going forward
• A fresh point of view about how the Internet can help artists to build community and support around their practice
TIMES: Fri 6-9pm, Sat 8:30am-5:30pm, Sun 8:30am-5:30pm (Times may vary slightly. Participants are required to attend the entire workshop)
CAPACITY: For groups of up to 24 artists
Verbal Communications Workshop:
Designed and facilitated by a communications specialist with extensive experience training artists in public speaking and leadership skills, the Verbal Communications workshop includes lectures, small group activities and hands on exercises to improve interpersonal communications and public speaking skills. It covers such topics as how to be authentic and comfortable talking about your work in social situations such as gallery openings, and how to successfully pitch your work or ask for money in meetings with presenters and funders. Participants identify their goals and objectives in order to more effectively and accurately represent themselves and their work. During the workshop, they have an opportunity to give a short presentation in order to work on content, verbiage, physical behavior and body language.
CAPACITY: For groups of up to 20 artists
For more information on the Creative Capital Foundation’s approach to professional development for individual artists, visit http://creative-capital.org/pdp/about
Professional artists of all artistic disciplines residing full time in New Mexico are eligible to apply to participate in the January 2012 retreats. For the purposes of this opportunity, a professional artist is defined as an individual who creates, on an ongoing basis, original works of art within an artistic discipline, and is pursuing this work as a means of livelihood or a way to achieve the highest level of professional recognition. Creative Capital prefers artists who are generative, not interpretive (for example: the composer over the violinist; the playwright over the actor). Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Individuals pursuing high school, undergraduate, or graduate degrees at the time of the workshops are not eligible.
Selection Process and Criteria:
Up to 24 applicants will be invited to attend the Internet for Artists weekend and 20 for the Verbal Communications. Selections will be made by a peer panel according to the below criteria. Accepted participants will be notified by January 2, 2012.
Emphasis will be placed on selecting artists who:
• Demonstrate a successful track record of ongoing, professional artistic activity and high quality work
• Have creation of new work as a primary artistic focus (as compared to interpreting existing works)
• Appear poised to transition to a new phase of his/her artistic career
• Could benefit from setting professional goals and building upon marketing, fundraising, and financial management skills
• Could benefit from a new network of professional contacts
Artists invited to participate in the Internet for Artists weekend will be required to attend all three days, beginning Friday evening, January 20, 2012, and running through Sunday evening, January 22, 2012 at the Santa Fe Art Institute, 1600 St Michaels Drive, Santa Fe, NM.
Actual cost of attendance, including meals, is estimated to total almost $2,000 per participant. Through generous grants from the Kresge Foundation, the McCune Charitable Foundations, and SFAI, your costs will be $200 for the Internet for Artists weekend, $75 for the Verbal Communications 1-day workshop, or $250 for both.
For artists invited to participate, the payment schedule includes a non-refundable advance fee of $50 to retain their placement (due upon acceptance) and the balance due by January 13, 2012.
Limited onsite housing is available for rural participants. Please contact Michelle Laflamme-Childs at (505) 424-5050 or email@example.com for more information.
Application Deadline & Submission Process:
Applications are being accepted now and must be received by 11;59, MST, Thursday, January 5, 2012. Only electronic applications will be accepted. The application is available online at https://sfai.slideroom.com
Please contact Michelle Laflamme-Childs at (505) 424-5050 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.